Thursday, April 9, 2009

Not Lonely any more

My newest houseguest arrived on Wednesday. She's a lovely girl. It's different having someone in the house who talks and talks back. I'm really enjoying her. I was wrong in saying she has fewer care needs than Trevor or Kayda did. She actually has lots more. One thing is that she has to be moved every 2 hours to avoid further problems with her pressure sore. That's a pain for both of us. At least we were able to get the seating therapist to agree that she can use Trevor's comfy chair with the cushion from her wheelchair as an alternative position. And, the couch is also ok. At least she doesn't have to go on her bed when ever she's out of her chair. The last 2 days have been busy with various people coming to check things out. My little guy who comes for respite arrived today. Hopefully things will go smoothly over the next couple of days.

I hope to meet the other young man towards the end of this coming week. After this weekend I won't have anyone for respite for the rest of the month. That will give us time to get my new family settled. Neither can be transported in a regular seat so I won't be able to take both out at the same time-in the van anyways. R will get her power chair soon-therapist just has to approve the cushion and C can also wheel his own wheelchair short distances so walks will be possible. The bus would also be a possibility. C will be in school or a day program 5 days a week which will help.

So, I'm not lonely and am happy to have life in the house again. At first I was feeling like I was betraying Trevor by being so happy to have someone new, but it's like I've said before, Trevor's work was done, mine isn't. It appears that I'm developing a reputation as people that had never met me before were the ones who suggested I should have R. They thought we'd be a good match. I agree that we are. And, I know that if she doesn't stay long term there will always be more people needing homes.

1 comment: