Friday, February 13, 2009

New strategy in grieving

I've discovered that it works better just not to think about anything that might cause pain. If I see something that reminds me of Trevor or the empty house, I just refuse to go there. I do much better if I just keep on going without thinking. I'm making progress on completing scrapbooking the pictures of our trip to Disney World in September. I just avoid thinking about the fact that Trevor isn't here any more. I focus on the fun we had. I managed shopping today by just avoiding areas I'd normally go to to buy things for Trevor and if I saw something that reminded me of the pain, I'd just not think about it. Otherwise the pain of his absence and the emptiness of the house is overwhelming.

And, to make things just a bit easier today I received 2 surprise packages in the mail. One was from someone I've never met or heard from. She found my address and name in a newsletter I get for parents who have lost a child. She sent me a whole package of poems and readings about grief. I really appreciated them. It made me realize I've stayed away from reading or listening to poems or songs about grieving as it's been too painful.

And then I came home from grocery shopping to find another package in the mailbox. It was a prayer shawl from a long time friend. It was made by someone in her church to be sent to someone who needed to be cheered up and know they were being prayed for. It was so sweet. God uses these little gestures of love to remind me I'm not alone.

I've also been chatting with a girl that I used to care for before Kayda and Trevor came to live with me. I'd had no contact with her since just after I got Trevor. Talking to her now is another reminder of how God can use people to show how much He loves us.

No comments:

Post a Comment