Thursday, February 5, 2009

Starting to live again

My last few days have had more life in them than any since Trevor died. I got a surprise email and then phone call from Trevor's bmom. We had a good talk. And, I now have talked to 2 moms who'd like me to do respite for their children-both boys. One is 12, in a power chair, deaf and at his age level cognitively. That scares me. I've had no contact with 12 year olds for many years. He's coming Saturday just for the day. He likes to go on the internet and his communication system has wireless internet so that should help. So far it looks like the weather is going to be ok so we can go out for walks. I hope he has fun here. He uses sign language which I know little of. I only know the real basic signs used with those with severe developmental delays. But he has a Dynavox so hopefully we can use that to communicate. I'd met his family many years ago when he was a baby and knew of him but have had no contact with him. It should be an interesting day.

I can't remember how old the other boy is. His needs are more familiar to me. But he's mobile when he's out of his chair and can pull himself to stand and get into things. His mom will come over and tell me what in our living room will have to be put away-I'm imagining lots. He also has a sleep disorder. Fortunately I've been told that there's an enclosed bed I can borrow so that will help him be safe at night. We don't have anything set up for respite yet. His mom is just checking me out.

And, I've been told of a 3rd boy needing respite. Apparently he's quite big but that shouldn't be a problem with our lift system. Don't any girls need respite?

I'd forgotten how much I enjoy doing respite. You can put in a lot more energy when you just have the child for short periods of time. Unfortunately at this point my contract just goes to the end of March which will be hard on the families. But I'll get as much time in with each child when I can now.

I don't know anything about the young man who may come here to live. Adult services has to decide if they can pay me what I need in order to keep this house. His needs aren't as severe as Trevor's were so they may not be able to justify that sort of expense. But it's still in the works.

All in all I'm finding more to look forward to than I have since December 10 when Trevor first got sick.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you will be busy and entertained. Hope it all works out well for you.

    ReplyDelete