Friday, January 9, 2009

Depressing evening

I was feeling quite depressed this evening, but I was doing my Christmas cards. Not much surprise that I wouldn't be feeling great about it. When I got the cards (using the above picture) Trevor was still alive and as far as I knew was healthy. I'd written our Christmas letter by the 10th of Dec. and it was very happy and upbeat, and I said Trevor had been healthy all year. I ran out of ink before I could print very many. That's the day everything started to fall apart. So, I've had to revise the letter telling people what has happened since. Most of the people I was sending cards to already know about his death but I wanted them to have the card as it had such a nice picture. There wasn't much point in saving them until next year. It hurt a lot seeing the happy picture. I also sent most people the bulletin from his memorial service. I likely wouldn't be alive if doing this hadn't made me sad.

I sort of get a better sense of perspective when I hear about other families who have lost a child recently. There's a story in our paper about a young woman who was killed in August when a truck drove into the restaurant where she was getting food. Her family is having a terrible time both emotionally and financially. At least with Trevor's death I was there and I know where he is. And, I haven't had to cover any of the costs associated with his death.

I know that one day I'll be happy again and so will our house. I spoke with my other social worker today and she told me about a couple of "fun" kids that need respite. Tomorrow I will go meet the one child whose family is coming to meet me on Monday. Maybe by next weekend there will be a child in the house for respite. That will make all of us feel better I think.

3 comments:

  1. Barb - that is a really lovely pic of you both at Disney. Will be nice for you to have another child in the house - hopefully it will bring you some happiness again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful picture with great memories . It will help to have another child in the house to be blessed.
    Know that people are praying for you as you miss Trevor. He is at peace and happy and would want you to be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope today has been a better one for you.
    (((HUGS)) and prayers

    ReplyDelete