Thursday, January 22, 2009

Holding hands


I received this most precious gift today. This is the mould that was done of me holding Trevor's hand just after he died. When Kayda died at CP we'd used paint and done prints of her hands. So I said I wanted to do something similar for Trevor. The recreational therapist went off to get what we needed. When she came back in she had a cart with all kinds of stuff on it. She said she was going to do a cast of Trevor's hand and did I want to hold it. Of course I did. I had to stay still, holding his hand for about 10 minutes. It was the last time I would ever hold his hand. The plan had been for me to take it home that day but it was so cold out that the mould wasn't drying fast enough. A few days later I was told it was ready but I wasn't ready to go back to CP to get it. It was just before Christmas and we'd had a fair amount of snow so the roads weren't good. The social worker tried to get a courier company to bring it but later discovered they'd not shown up. After Christmas she tried again to get it picked up and the courier company said it was too icy and they couldn't make it to CP. So, they were fired. And she finally got to pick it up for me last week and brought it here today. She was very relieved to get it here safely as it wasn't packed very securely.

It's the most precious thing I've ever seen apart from holding his actual hand. I keep staring at it and touching it. I think I'm going to get a display case for it to protect it. I'm so grateful that this was done for me. It's captured so much detail of both our hands.

1 comment: